Saturday, October 4, 2008

Busy and Learning:

Yesterday, The Mike got off a little early so we headed over to Los Osos/Baywood Park - him to get his paycheck and me to . . . what else? Snap photos!

Baywood Park set

Montana De Oro set

Los Osos Valley Road set

The weather was really nice and Mike knows the area pretty well because he lived there years ago. We ended up having to get his check right by one of the entrances into the Elfin Forest.Honestly, I wasn't impressed with the "forest" part, but the view from the boardwalk was wonderful! The back bay, from Los Osos to Morro Rock, is in clear sight.

My favorite three shots:





Oh, last Tuesday evening I met up with my photog friend Alex and we took a bunch of pictures in and around the village of Arroyo Grande. I forgot to blog about it - sorry! You can see the set here. I'm not enamored with any of them overall so I'm not picking a top three on those.

On the learning front, this is something I just read and I can't wait to implement the idea!

"Here's a central and obvious principle about photography that is sometimes overlooked even by some veteran photographers — that it's about light. Light makes the image. All cameras, whether film-based or digital are wonders of technology but they don't have a clue about subject; they're designed to transmit and register light and a range of its qualities.

It's true that the history of photography is filled with examples in which the subject and not the light is what the viewer's attention is drawn to and many of those images are powerful and memorable. In photojournalism, for example, when the urgency of an event takes precedence over art, the photographer may not have the time or the interest in waiting for the right light. But amongst the most memorable of those images, the ones that put a lump in your throat are those in which the light was a significant and descriptive player. So think about the subject but shoot the light."

- Malcolm Lubliner, Photographer


Some of his photographs.

Fascinating idea!

On October 9th, the SLO Camera Club has their monthly meeting and this time I'm going. Truth be told, I'm intimidated by "real" photographers but I'm willing to go to at least one meeting just to give it a chance. The worst that can happen is that everyone hates me, lol, but it's not like I KNOW these people so I won't have to ever see them again. That's what I keep telling myself when my little voice gets all Negative Nancy on me :grin:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice shots!! I love this area...did I tell you Jim and I caught a couple buck naked having sex on the rocks in Montana De Oro.....LOVE that place!!

Thanks for the lighting quote, I'm going to stalk his photos now....